Vittoria founded at the beginning of the 17th century was the last of the settlements of the old County of Modica that covered much of the territory now belonging to the Province of Ragusa.
The City was founded as part of a great process of colonization of new lands and founding of new villages carried out by the nobility of the Island between 1500-1700. In this specific case, it turned out to be an intelligent long-term investment suggested by a few county administrators to the feudatory, the Countess Vittoria Colonna (1558-1633) teacher of the son of the Count of Modica, Giovanni Alfonso Enriques Cabrera (1596-1647).
The new agglomerate, which overlooks the magnificent valley furrowed by the Ippari, develops on the boundaries of an area inhabited for millenniums: in fact, in the surroundings of the primitive nucleus of the City (under and near the so-called "Castello" - the castle) there are traces of prehistorical settlements dating back to the Bronze Era, to the Greeks, Romans and Byzantines.
Also, along the coastlines, near the outlet of the Ippari River, in the area of the antique swamp the Greek city of Kamarina was founded as a sub Colony of the Doric Syracuse (VI century A.C.).
The actual suburb of Scoglitti, whose name can be dated back to the Dark Ages, spreads out near the great northern necropolis of Kamarina.